Colourful & Fresh Recipe List July 2 to 7
With Farmers’ Markets sprouting up everywhere, and coming off of a week of meat, carbs and cheese, it’s time for some fresh and healthy recipes.
The list of vegetables in season is long – though flooding may delay some fruits and veggies in Vancouver, there are still many choices for local and fresh produce.
The recipes of the week are organized so you can use the more perishable veggies earlier in the week, to guarantee fresh and delicious meals. New find: Vancouver Farmers`Markets website gives updates on seasonal produce, as well as notice of upcoming events, like the Berry Festival on July 18, 2012.
Monday Lasagna with mushrooms and lamb sausage
Tuesday Grilled kale salad with ricotta and plums, with grilled chicken thighs
Wednesday Charred corn salad with baked potatoes and BBQ chicken thighs
Thursday Curried vegetable roti
Friday Spicy chicken thighs with rhubarb-cucumber salsa with rice and black beans
Saturday Vegetarian Ribollita (Italian soup with bread and beans)
Grocery List & Where to Shop
- Sourdough bread
- Chicken thighs
- 1 tub ricotta
Kin’s Farm Market $29.92
- 3 zucchini
- 1 package crimini mushrooms
- 10 white mushrooms
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 cucumber
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 bunch celery
- 2 packages okra
- 1 packages jalepeno
- cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 ears of corn
- 2 bunches kale
- 1 can Cannelini (white kidney) beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tub plain yogurt
- 1 package pita
- 1 package (400g) Italian 4-cheese mix
Whole Foods $21.29
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 1 head savoy cabbage
- 3 lamb sausages
- 6 plums
- 1 can chipotles in adobo
Lennox Liquor Store $13.95
This Week`s Total: $116.29
Tips for the Week
- Visit your local farmer’s market for a jar of honey. The flavour is soo much better than store bought.
- Chicken: Chicken thighs are about $3 kilogram cheaper than chicken breasts, grill better than breasts, and (I find) have more flavour.
- Lasagna: The recipe calls for the tastier oyster and shiitake mushrooms. But, to save a bit, go discount on the mushrooms and opt for crimini and white mushrooms.
- Lasagna: Go to Les Amis du Fromage for the pecorino if you want to indulge. I’ve opted for the much cheaper (albeit a bit less tasty) 4-cheese mix.
- Rhubarb salsa: Make the rhubarb salsa on Thursday and let the flavours sit.
- Ribollita: Eat this soup right away, it`s best freshly made.