Hot Hot Hot Recipe and Grocery List April 1 to 6
This week, I saw a commercial for Sriacha-Flavoured Lay’s potato chips, and glared at the flavour choice – what’s next Lay’s, what’s next. But, then I sat back and wondered – why the hell not, Sriacha is delicious!
You know what else is delicious? Jerk sauce. Tobasco sauce. Mmmmm….After reminiscing of all of the amazing hot or spicy sauces there are for about an hour, I realized we have enough fuel for this week’s recipes. It’s a great time of year to go spicy – with the hot weather comes cider(s) on the patio, and you always need a spicy dish to accompany a cold drink.
I’ve chosen a meal for each of my 6 favourites sauces this week – Chipotle Tobasco, Sriacha, Gochujang, Jerk, Piri Piri and Cholula sauce. The great thing about the meals this week is that because these sauces are so freaking spicy, there is little preparation needed, because no other flavour could compete with them anyway. And, to combat the calories of Sir Perry’s Ciders, most of these meals are quite healthy – proteins are either chicken or tofu, and dishes are served with sprouted rice, quinoa or soba (buckwheat) noodles.
Monday Chipotle Lime-Grilled Chicken and Grilled Broccoli with Chipotle-Lime Butter and Queso Fresco
Tuesday Sriacha Grilled Tofu and Sauteed Sriacha Greens on Brown Rice
Wednesday Grilled Chicken with Spicy Soba Noodles with Shiitakes and Cabbage
Thursday Jerk Chicken with Collard Greens and Rice and Peas
Friday Roast Chicken with Piri Piri Sauce on and Steamed Spinach on Brown Rice
Saturday Mexican Lentils and Rice with Cholula Sauce
- green onions
- napa cabbage
- 5 limes
- 2 heads broccoli
- soba noodles
- white miso paste
- 1 bunch spinach
- chicken breasts (on for $11/kg this week!)
- 2 packages extra firm tofu
- edamame (frozen)
- 1 package red lentils
- serrano peppers
- kidney beans
- Cholula hot sauce
- scotch bonnets
- coconut milk
- Chipotle tobasco sauce
Tips for the Week
- Chipotle Lime-Grilled Chicken and Grilled Broccoli with Chipotle-Lime Butter and Queso Fresco: Skip the queso fresco (cheese) to save some money and a few calories, for this weeknight dinner. And also soak everything in the chipotle-lime marinade – this stuff could make your pillow taste good.
- Sriacha Grilled Tofu and Sauteed Sriacha Greens on Brown Rice: Don’t skip the white miso paste in the sriacha marinade – it gives the sauce some extra flavour. You can always marinate chicken instead of tofu, but I’d add 1 Tbsp. sesame oil and 1/4 t. rice vinegar to make it a bit thinner if you do.
- Grilled Chicken with Spicy Soba Noodles with Shiitakes and Cabbage: Find gojuchang at T&T Market for about $3 for a small container. You can get shiitake mushrooms for quite cheap at T&T, or at Safeway. Follow the instructions when cooking this one- don’t just dump everything in a pan and wait, you’ll miss out on some great flavour.
- Jerk Chicken with Collard Greens and Rice and Peas: Jalepenos are NOT the same as scotch bonnets. I’d almost recommend buying pre-made sauce (gasp) if you can’t find the right peppers. The flavour is dramatically different, and not worth the ingredients without the right peppers.
- Roast Chicken with Piri Piri Sauce on Steamed Spinach and Brown Rice: You can substitute serrano peppers for Fresno chiles for the Piri Piri sauce. This is the sauce that’s made Nando’s Chicken famous. I always add an extra pepper or two, as Piri Piri is never quite as spicy as I like it.
- Mexican Lentils and Rice with Cholula Sauce: This recipe is definitely a bit ghetto. Skip the cheese, add 1/2 cup pinto beans, and skip the tomato paste in this recipe. I’m also adding some veggies (extra onions, celery, tomatoes) and 2 Tbsp. Cholula hot sauce in lieu of the salsa. Not sure if this classes is up….a bit.